I was listening, and the more she said the clearer it became to me, that she is actually talking about the Ego that uses the Mind as its spokesperson.
My brother is dealing with health problems and he is guided by medicine people, aka doctors. He is getting worse and he is getting more and more sure what he is supposed to do, how he is supposed to eat, how it is… He has the best teachers: doctors.
Medical doctors, organized religion, and Ego have a lot in common.
Let’s examine the commonalities:
A: the doctors
- Everything medical doctors say is to prove that they know how it is, that they know what you should do, that they are right and you are wrong.
- Everything a medical doctor says is to preserve the status quo: nothing and no one can change and will change the order of things, because staying the same is the most important thing.
- The doctor has nothing to do with it: he/she is just a mouthpiece, a spokesperson: what must be protected is medicine, the body of medicine itself.
B: The Ego:
- Everything that the Ego already knows is the truth: you know how to do everything, you know how to be, you know who you are and it is the only way to be.
- Everything that the Ego says, everything the Ego is interested in can be summed up in one sentence: No change allowed. Things, you, must stay the same.
- The Mind has nothing (or not much) to do with it: it is just a spokesperson…
C: Organized Religion
- Everything ever happens proves that the religion is the right one
- Everything ever done is to preserve the status quo
- A priest has nothing to do with it: he/she is just a mouthpiece
When I was participating with Landmark Education, my desire was to be a leader. I was, for a while, in training to be a Forum Leader, and I was trained to do other leadership stuff as well.
At some point I realized that leaders of programs are really just mouthpieces, delivery people, and I stopped wanting to be one.
I am fiercely independent, and I like to stand for the truth that is unfolding, instead of set in stone, dictated, whether it’s the Ego, or it’s an organization.
Is it the mind or is it the Ego?
Now, you can see that all the empty and useless information that you have been getting about changing your mind, and the power of your mind, and other bromide 2
There is nothing that you can do about the mind: the mind is the mouthpiece. If you want to change medicine from a “dead and deadening science” to a vibrant, flexible field of experimentation and inquiry, you will not (unless you are stupid) try to change the doctors (the mouthpieces)…
If you want your life to be able to move from dead center, if you want to be able to change, raise your vibration, be more, do more, have more, you need to interact with the Ego.
If we wanted to do a diagram, the Soul would be a triangle standing on a point, and the Ego would be a triangle standing on its side.
In the two-dimensional space, the most mobile “thing” is a triangle standing on a point, and the most stable “thing” is a triangle sitting on its side.
The art of having a life of security and movement is to allow this two triangles to grab onto each other, and form a “wheel”.
A wheel can be stationary or can move, but the energy to move it will allow both the Ego and the Soul get what they want; The Soul wants movement, and the Ego wants security.
You, the human, decide how fast and how long the movement will last, how far you are willing to go. You are actually in control, neither the Ego, nor the Soul are in control, you are.
But you need to assert your leadership, you need to enroll both the Ego and the Soul to work well together, and to do your bidding.
Without your leadership your life will always be a cycle of doom and pleasure, an up and down, uncontrollable, and uncontrollably going downward, towards quiet desperation.
Your mind has nothing to do with it.
When I talk about the mind, I talk about an aspect of a human, the brain function of gathering, storing, and retrieving information. It is a simple and stupid computer thinking itself you.
It is stupid, because it has NO FACULTIES to decide if what is being fed to it is true or not, it can only COMPARE what is coming in to what it already stores.
It sets up filters to your perception, hearing, seeing, sensing, to filter out everything it considers not relevant… but it takes its clue for relevancy in what it already stores.
If you decided as a child that you are useless and dumb, it will not allow you to hear anything counter to that, or anything that would need useful and intelligent.
Your mind is not your friend. You need to start control it, and take leadership.
There is the you, the part of you that isn’t judging and isn’t judged. That is what we will consider the Real You. That is the part of you that is the Boss.
And the servants or employees are the body, the mind, the soul, the ego, the subconscious, the will, the intellect… they each serve a different purpose in keeping you alive, in making you grow, in your being.
All that talk about making your mind better, etc. is based on misunderstanding or often is a deliberate attempt (successful so far) to enslave you.
noun: bromide; plural noun: bromides
1. Chemistry: a compound of bromine with another element or group, especially a salt containing the anion Br– or an organic compound with bromine bonded to an alkyl radical.
2. a trite and unoriginal idea or remark, typically intended to soothe or placate.
“feel-good bromides create the illusion of problem solving”
3. dated: a sedative preparation containing potassium bromide.
A soul – in certain spiritual, philosophical, and psychological traditions – is the incorporeal essence of a person or living thing or object. Many philosophical and spiritual systems still teach that humans have souls, and others teach that all living things and even inanimate objects (such as rivers) have souls. The latter belief is commonly called animism. Soul can function as a synonym for spirit, mind or self.
Although the terms soul and spirit are sometimes used interchangeably, soul may denote a more worldly and less transcendent aspect of a person. According to psychologist James Hillman, soul has an affinity for negative thoughts and images, whereas spirit seeks to rise above the entanglements of life and death. The words soul and psyche can also be treated synonymously, although psyche has more physical connotations, whereas soul is connected more closely to spirituality and religion.
According to Kabbalah, depending on which “plane” you observe the soul, it is different, nefesh, neshama, etc. are different words to indicate that. I am not an expert at that…