chilli’s (1 kg green or red) - I use Habanero, it is much hotter.
onion (1 medium size) - I don't use onions
garlic (1 full head)
ginger (the size of a thumb)
a lemon or vinegar
olive oil - I don't put olive oil in mine
a jar for storage
1. Chop the heads off the chilli’s and then chop them finely.
2. Chop up the onion, garlic and ginger.
3. Chop up the lemon, skin and all.
4. Fry the ingredients to reduce the amount of liquid and let it steam off. Start with the onion for a couple of minutes, then the garlic for a few more minutes, then the ginger and finally the lemon.
5. Fry the chilli. It should steam for some time, around 30 to 45 minutes depending on the chilli’s.
6. Once finished frying the water out of the mixture take the frying pan off the plate and let the mixture cool down. Once cool. blend the mixture into a fine chilli paste in a food processor.
7. Once the mixture has been thoroughly blended, take a jar and coat it inside with olive oil, place the mixture inside, and the place a layer of olive oil along the surface of the paste and seal the jar. This should then last for months if kept refrigerated.