Sleep is an extremely important factor in everyone's life. Not getting enough sleep not only makes you feel sluggish and groggy, but also has negative long-term effects. Sleep deprivation can lead to serious health issues including diabetes, depression, weight gain and more. Sometimes it's hard to get a good night's sleep, so here are some tips on how to get the best sleep of your life:
- Tip #1: Cut the caffeine. It's important to stop drinking energy-boosting drinks in the afternoon, ideally around 2PM. This way there will be enough time for their effects to wear off.
- Tip #2: Put away cell phones, computers or anything with a screen. Looking at a screen while laying in bed, whether typing or reading, will wind up your mind so keep all gadgets out of reach. It's also important to use a real alarm clock instead of your cell phone. Don't forget to turn your phone off vibrate/sound so it doesn't wake you during the night.
- Tip #3: Don't shower or bathe too close to sleeping. Raising your body temperature will deter you from falling asleep because your body needs to cool down to a certain temperature in order to sleep soundly.
- Tip #4: Set an ambiance. Keep your room dark and use a sound machine. Most people prefer white noise or an oscillating fan. Invest in a sound machine or download a sound soothing app on your phone.
white noise sound machines
- Tip #5: Eat foods that promote sleep. If you enjoy a nighttime snack, try eating foods that have a high amount of tryptophan, an amino acid that help promotes sleep. Foods high in tryptophan include cheese, nuts, seeds, oats, and more.
- Tip #6: Spray your room and/or pillowcase with a relaxing scent. Lavender and chamomile are both sleep-inducing scents and encourage a calm state of mind.
What are some things you do to sleep soundly?
Don't miss 8 sleep mistakes that are ruining your skin and hair and 5 things to remember when getting dressed for work in the summer.