I am one of these people.
And some of my clients are like this too.
In this article I will attempt to teach something I myself need to learn and then master.
Remembering the future.
The already existing program of psycho-cybernetics uses this method. Because it is largely misunderstood by people who are “trained” on the mind movies and other imagination based programs, most people are disappointed with psycho-cybernetics, but the method works.
The essence of the theater of your mind method, or imagining the future, as I am going to call it, is to go no further than just past and through the action that is blocked by the fear.
So how do you do the Remembering the Future meditation?
You first identify the action. The action will have a risk factor… wrong choice, doing it wrong, messing it up, loss of one sort or another.
You want to preserve your self-image of… some pie in the sky image, not even well defined.
Here are a few examples:
- I am doing a project where I need to pick a product and test it with facebook ads. $5 a day budget. One out of 10 should work. So wrong decisions are part and parcel of this type of project.And yet… I am getting all kinds of shoulder pain and upper arm pain… upper chest tightness… I don’t want to make a mistake…
- Another is from a student, it just came today: she wanted to try her hand on planting herbs… but even though she bought them, they just sat there… had her mother not planted them, they would have died there, unplanted.
- I used to teach internet marketing. The big stumbling block of beginners was picking a niche… and it was a big enough block to stop them cold… and die on the vine… so to say.
You sit and close your eyes. You define, clearly, the step that gives you the trouble. And if you can, imagine the outcome that scares you. In all its full glory… and then sit with it. And see that it is all a storm in a teacup. So it didn’t work… so? No big deal.
- –In my case, I will find out about ten products that they were the wrong product. Or I targeted them at the wrong crowd. Or I priced them wrong.I will lose $500, if I have it to lose… over a month. I tweak the ones that show some promise, and I make up for the loss… or don’t. Either way: it is not a big deal.It takes 10,000 hours to become masterful at something. These are the first hours of this quest for mastery. I am on my way.
- –In the student’s case: she finds out that she killed the herbs, in spite of her desire to have herbs to harvest. So she can go out and purchase another set, until she succeeds. Or god forbid, ask her mother to instruct her… gasp… lol.
- –Of in my marketing students’ case, they find out that they picked a crowd they don’t ever want to do business with. Now they know. Halleluiah.
Now, the crucial capacity is seeing yourself as someone who can deal with failure, who can deal with the result of a mistake. That you are not taken out by a mistake… or two, or ten.
It’s the DNA capacity of self-trust (self-trust=being a match to what life throws at you, being a match for life, being big enough for life) that you need to need… need to stimulate.
And the Imagining the Future method stimulates self-trust.
Winners are people who are not afraid of failures, they know they can handle it.
You’ll never become a winner if you avoid failure.
This whole visualization should take no longer than a minute or two.
Repeat it as often as you need to: it stimulates the capacity that separates winners from those who never try.
Now, you see how easy it is… don’t complicate it.
Warning: the visualization methods stupid gurus teach is that you should go as far as you can go into the future, where you are successful, and you are celebrating the well-deserved rewards.
Don’t do it. It creates the desire trap that in addition to it being really unpleasant, is the hallmark of a life wasted.
What happens when you go that far (same thing happens when you are doing mind movies, vision boards and other harmful stuff!) you just created a disconnect between now and then. No process, no plan, no steps, no chance for success.
I have listened to testimonials of people who claimed that the visualization techniques worked for them. But all the “results” were handouts, or accidents.
You don’t want to base your life on happy accidents, do you?
If you do… get off my site. Please. Now.
The prayer people, and the fans of angels, and the law of attraction enthusiasts… go away. Please.
This site is for people who are willing to work for what they want.
No miracles, no magic, no voodoo, none of it works.
Learning, developing skills, overcoming obstacles, purposeful action, deliberate practice. These are what make winners.
PS: Maxwell Maltz calls it self-esteem. But self-esteem is an effect. On the causal level are actions, and capacities. The capacity that is directly causing inaction is self-trust. Stupid action… a bunch of capacities, seeing the big picture, seeing the consequences of your actions, long range vision just among many. Accuracy of the self-evaluation aka self-esteem is more like a world view issue… and it is so important I am going to include it, from now on, in the Starting Point Measurements…
But this meditation, seeing yourself making the mistake you are afraid making, and seeing that no big deal happens, is causing the activation of the DNA capacity of self-trust…
It won’t help you make the right decision… but it will help you getting closer to making it through fearless experimentation…
Want to get your starting point measurements? No big deal… Just $15. You’ll get your results of my personal measurements in your email.