My soul correction is “Forget Thyself”… meaning: I believe that I am the alpha and the omega, and that anything and everything other people say has to be filtered through MY genius, my experience, or it is not to be taken seriously.
My soul correction that makes me a very slow learner…
I don’t even have questions when I read something, when I hear something. I am not one of the people who have a question of the speaker at the end of a talk. I first let it all in, no resistance, and let the brain work out whatever the brain wants to work out, and let the brain bring out the questions if there are any, or let the brain quietly discard what I heard/read without even consulting with me, the conscious me…
It takes quiet and it takes time.
So I like to be alone. I like to be in silence. I live on a dead end street. I like to watch movies alone… and I like to take pauses in watching movies… whenever my brain tells me it needs to look…
If you are a subscriber to my Sunday calls… you hear long pauses… Those are the brain thinking…
I don’t continue until I get the “I am done” from the brain. The brain evaluates what I said… by the way.
OK, this was my example, but this article won’t be about me: it will be about you.
When you look at evolution, Life seems to want to take it to a self-sustaining complex system… I know, big words… let me explain.
Self-sustaining means, in humanity’s case: humans who don’t want to annihilate other humans… duh. We are clearly not there. We are also not self-sustaining: we are gobbling up the planet faster than it can recover. So we are looking to take our predatory ways to other planets…
So if Life wants humanity to be a self-sustaining system, we are pitifully falling short. Both individually and as a species.
Political and social movements want to stop the behavior… but the behavior is just the tip of the iceberg, the visible tip… and changing that won’t change the immersed part.
Or using a tree metaphor: the behavior is the fruits… changing the fruits doesn’t change the roots.
In my not so humble view, humanity took a dead end street in evolution, some 10 thousand years ago, and instead of fitting in, it decided to do its own thing… Like you do it, individually, I know. F… what life wants… I want what I want and I don’t want what I don’t want… Look deeply and you’ll find it in you. No exception.
The result: individual and collective sense that life isn’t going anywhere, whereas it is YOU who isn’t going anywhere.
Collective despair… How you deal with it will be individual, but the cause is the same.
Is there a solution to this gridlock? Can we get off the side track and back to evolution?
I am here to do the research if there is… and if there is, what it could be, would be, should be.
I have, personally, moved myself out of this gridlock… not such a long time ago, after diligently experimenting more than 30 years.
I am no leading a course, an experimental course, The Playground. Every new iteration is lead differently, testing out different ideas, different concepts.
I am still as much of a student as a teacher… I need to know more, see more, to not be locked into a certain “I know and you don’t” typical attitude my soul correction has.
So I read. I watch movies, documentaries, TED talks. I muscle test them BEFORE I watch them, so I don’t waste my time on crap. 99% of what is out there is crap… in often face wrapping.
Some of them are worth sharing with you.
Here is from today:
All of these videos show some ways to go beyond being the stuck human you are… To UNSTUCK yourself.
I say it is possible to become a human being with the tools I provide, or if it is not going well, add some more tools. Really…
Don’t be mislead: the current, stuck stage of human evolution, homo sapiens, is not even similar to the stage “human being”. And as long as you are stuck in homo sapiens, competitive, predatory, murderous, hateful, jealous, acquisitive, prideful, and you are, even if you think you are a good person, or a saint, or NOT any of those…
One of the most important things I learned in Landmark Education is that change preserves what it changes. When you are not competitive… competitiveness is there, hiding. You are not self-centered, self-serving, self-aggrandizing, etc… Just look at Mother Theresa, supposedly generous, loving, etc… But what she was is NOT something else…
This is the culture we live in… in the “I am not X” culture of pretense, lying, posturing…
Real growth comes from dropping the “not”…
The first step is owning up to what you are, who you are, how you do anything… Brutal. Once you own up to it, publicly, it is taken away. It is a long process. This is what we do in the Playground.
I provide many tools for you to see yourself… the Partner Calls and my feedback. The 20-30 day skill building board… My articles… And now these videos.
Once you see how you are and make peace with how you are, allow the ugly to be without the need to hide it or fix it, allow the ineffective to be without the need to hide it or fix it, allow everything to be the way it is… it stops controlling you, fixing your view, and you can look wider for ways to be, things to do.
It is not a fast process. Some get to that point later rather than sooner. Some fall back…
But, ultimately, I hope, it works for everyone.
My job is to find new ways to tease out where you are stuck. Your job is to see it when you get to it. Wow, I am stuck here…
And then, when we get to the “open space” where everything is possible… none of my students are there, if you had any doubts… then we’ll use what we have, our amazing brain (especially after having our predatory genes adjusted and after using the Big Bundle for a while) and our amazing bodies to find a new way to live life… to live like a human being.
OK, here are the videos.
Do not try to learn them… Just allow them to wash over you. Allow yourself to not resist, not to learn, not to get fixated on the solution that jumps at you.
It will take all you’ve got… I had to watch the Tim Ferriss video twice… I got hitchhiked in the middle… You will be too.
Just go back to the part you still heard… and watch the parts you missed because you went into your cave like a dog with a bone.
Good luck with that, and if you feel especially generous, share what you did and what you saw for yourself, in the comments or in an email to me.
What is your ketchup cup you have been using until now?
and what it means for your LIFE
Signs of “genius”
The takeaway to perfection method by Tim Ferris2
PS: more valuable videos from Janine Driver
- You are way more intelligent than you realize! Here’s a list of signs that actually indicate a super bright mind. They are all scientifically proved, so if you feel like a few of them are true for you, you have every reason to call yourself a genius!
You realize how much you don’t know 0:48
You wear the same clothes every day 2:00
You can feel what others are thinking 3:01
You can perfectly control yourself 3:50
Your eyes are blue 4:53
You are a chocolate lover 5:54
When you’re upset, you know what’s bothering you 6:56
You talk to yourself 7:47
You can’t stand any background noise 8:35
Your handwriting is messy 9:21
– Justin Kruger and David Dunning worked with a group of Cornell University undergrads and published the results of their research in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology in 1999. They asked students to predict their scores after being tested in Humor, Logical reasoning and English Grammar. Those who were 100% sure they did outstandingly well ended up with worse results than those who were more critical of themselves.
– Psychologist Oliver Burkeman has done some serious research on the lifestyle of the brightest minds in the world. He concluded that smart people tend to save up their mental abilities for more important things. Unless those smart people are fashion designers or Lady Gaga, of course.
– Empathy is a sign of exceptional mental intelligence. If you are emotionally intelligent, you love meeting new people and learning new things. According to psychologist and author of Focus: The Hidden Drivers of Excellence Daniel Goleman, people who care a lot about others and can feel them well, generally, succeed in life.
– The ability to control instincts is what we know distinguishes humans from animals. Genius people went even further: they manage to overcome and control any impulses they have. If you can plan and achieve goals without being distracted by emotions you are more intelligent than you might imagine.
– Professor emeritus of the University of Louisville Joanne Rowe has concluded light-eyed humans, and even animals are way better at activities requiring self-pacing than the dark-eyed creatures. The fact that you are better at self-paced activities means that you like paying attention to every detail.
– M.D. Franz H. Messerli, who is most likely a chocolate lover himself, published the results of his study in The New England Journal of Medicine. He tried to link genius (Noble prize winner kind of genius) per ten million people with the amount of chocolate consumed in certain countries. And he found it.
– Genius people don’t stick to the past. And, they don’t blame everyone and everything around for their sadness. Psychologist Daniel Goleman explains a real genius does not only address problems but also recognizes emotions when he feels them, and not ignores them.
– Psychologists Daniel Swigley and Gary Lupyan conducted a whole study on it. The good self-talk, according to them, helps us sort the important thoughts from useless stuff going through our minds.
– A study conducted at the Northwestern University has stated that a genius hates any kind of background noise because it prevents him from concentrating on important issues.
– Next time someone criticizes your handwriting, simply nod, say “I am sorry you don’t get it” and triumph on the inside. Messy writing is one of the signs of a genius!
- Master any skill – DiSSS Framework
D – Deconstruction (+ identify)
S – Selection (+ simplify)
S – Sequencing (+ optimize fundamental elements)
S – Stakes (+ motivation/importance/consequence)
Deconstruction – Focus on the basic elements!
(deconstruction of the skill into individual logical mechanics, identify and focus on the basics and keep it simple for the first 5 sessions)
Selection – Selecting the few most important elements, that provides the most benefit!
(minimalism / Pareto principle / 20-80 principle, the 20% input that provides 80% output)
Sequencing – Learn and develop the fundamental elements/skill framework!
(build up the skill from important basic elements, don’t just memorize and blindly follow “the best practice” for learning a skill, try tasks in another order, even “reverse engineering” the skill)
Stakes – Have an incentive that keep your motivation high!
(something you find very important and will strive to uphold, something with consequence/high stakes)
Simplify and focus!